Tuesday 29 March 2016

HATE, LIKE, LOVE and PREFER

To my curious students... =)

We can use hate, like, love and prefer with an -ing form or with a to-infinitive:
I hate to see food being thrown away.
I love going to the cinema.
I prefer listening to the news on radio than watching it on TV.
He prefers not to wear a tie to work.
In American English, the forms with to-infinitive are much more common than the -ing form.
There is a very small difference in meaning between the two forms. The -ing form emphasises the action or experience. The to-infinitive gives more emphasis to the results of the action or event. We often use the -ing form to suggest enjoyment (or lack of it), and the to-infinitive form to express habits or preferences.


The -ing form is more common than the to-infinitive form after hate and love:
I hate decorating. I’d rather pay a professional to do it.

Would + hate, like, love, prefer

When we use would or ’d with hate, like, love, prefer, we use the to-infinitive, not the -ing form:
We would love to hear you sing.
Not: We would love hearing you sing.
They’d hate to cause a problem.
Not: They’d hate causing a problem.
I’d prefer not to give you my name.
Not: I’d prefer not giving you my name.
(“Hate, like, love and prefer” from English Grammar Today © Cambridge University Press.)


No comments:

Post a Comment